The Twins

The Twins
Olukayode and Folashade: 1988 During His Call to Bar

Friday 2 March 2012

Some are born great, some are born twins...

It was in From Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, 1602 that Malvalio said:
…..some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.
In our case we were born twins and that is an inescapable fact, it is not a fact you ever forget, lay to rest or run away from.

Today of all days, the 2nd of March is when we, Folashade and I were born into this world, today is a vivid reminder of her absence and her glorious transition to heaven. In the past few weeks I have felt that I am handling things better, but today it is mixed blessings. I am told as the years go by, days such as our birthday will get easier to handle, but till then I deal with it in the only way I know.

To some it remains a sore point, the twin thing, but I simply have no apologies to make, I did not ask to be born a twin or to acquire such a unique status. My maker takes the credit for that. I am determined, however, despite past failings to make my today, tomorrow and the rest of my life without my twin a journey of service to the Lord.

My brother in law is doing a remarkable thing today, on the site we share, he is laying the foundation of some building and is naming it 'Folashade Court' after my beloved and unforgettable twin. My nieces have asked for a birthday cake to be made and for them to go and celebrate at her graveside. You see her memory can never die for it lives on in our earth!

I thank my wife, daughters and all those who have already sent me best wishes, I expect more from many including my long suffering mother, brother and brother-in-law. What do I have planned today? I shall do some work today and reflect on God's goodness and faithfulness. Happy Birthday Twin!

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your twin. The photographs are amazing. I agree with your comment that once born a twin, you are always a twin. I too am a lone twin and am always drawn towards twins.
    Thinking of you on your birthday today.
    Best Wishes,
    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lindy,

    It so good to hear from you especially the understanding you express, it makes it much better. May you also find some comfort in the years to come as you navigate this sometimes lonely road….

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Olu,
    Thank you. Reading your words brings comfort. For years I did not realise that other twins felt the same about their loss. I was amazed after my first 'Lone Twin' meeting that I was not alone in my feelings. Thank you for sharing yours.
    Kind Regards,
    Lindy
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I am not anonymous - just can't get to comment with putting my name!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand Lindy maybe it simply wants you to join. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete