The Twins

The Twins
Olukayode and Folashade: 1988 During His Call to Bar

Sunday 15 April 2012

A Tear or Two…..

I shed a tear or two at today's church service, memories of my twin just brought emotions of sadness to me. This usually happens when I listen or hear beautiful songs and dwell on the implications of the lyrics. As I write now I am welling up with tears, but not complete sadness but also of joy. Yes joy, because of where I believe she is.

We had Nia who came to minister at our church service, she really blessed me. I bought one of her CDs titled 'Memory Lane', it has seven beautiful tracks and mainly soul but with deeply meaningful lyrics.

Last week we lost our former headmistress (University of Lagos Staff School, Nigeria) Mrs Obafunmi Ajike Doherty. We had began to reminisce about her and how famously strict she was when we received the news through our class set. We came together yesterday through the internet and wrote her a beautiful tribute. One of the parts of the tributes I like most is:

When we survey, through the fog of the chastisement and discipline that was a feature of our time in school, we discover that we learnt from you a real lesson. The lesson that every generation has promise and that change comes in excruciating increments to those that want it. You taught us that we must be the change we wish to see in the world.

Now we must say adieu to you ma, not so much in sadness, which we feel, but in the overwhelming desire to ensure that your legacy continues to live on in our lives. That our celebration is your celebration, our achievement your achievement and your memories lives on in our lives. For with you, Mrs Doherty there is no such thing as an invisible legacy.

Adieu Mrs Doherty!

1 comment:

  1. From Nancy, a fellow lone twin: "Truly touching and poignant Olu - "we must be the change we wish to see in the world".
    I have a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye...but in a good way! What an amazing lady she must have been. I don't think they make them like that anymore! Nxxx"

    ReplyDelete